The Student News Site of Truckee High School

The Truckee Times

Big News, Small Town

The Truckee Times

The Truckee Times

logo

Big News, Small Town

Tahoe VS Donner

Lake+Tahoe+
Henry Hukari
Lake Tahoe
Within the Truckee Tahoe community, a large debate has been present for a long time on what is better, Lake Tahoe or Donner Lake. They both have pros and cons and offer different benefits. For Truckee locals, Donner seems to be much more practical because of its Truckee local location, whereas Tahoe is more practical for Tahoe city residents. This still doesn’t stop the commute to the lakes, especially to Tahoe from Truckee. But why don’t Truckee locals just stick to Donner?
The main reason that Tahoe sticks out is its beautiful sandy beaches. On Donner Lake, only two beaches are primarily West End Beach and China Cove Beach. These beaches don’t have nearly the waterside space that the many beaches at Tahoe contain, and they both require payment to get in. Donner’s lack of beach space is the leading cause of the migration to Tahoe. Cole Wilson, a Truckee local, says, “The reason I chose going to the beach on Tahoe rather than Donner is mainly because Tahoe has way more beach space.” It seems that beach space matters in the decision between lakes because people want to be able to spend comfortable time on the beach, and Tahoe has better resources for that.
Compared to other lakes in our vicinity, Tahoe has the most beaches. On the north lakeside of Tahoe, closest to Truckee, there are about five public beaches with impressive sizes and beauty. These beaches include Commons Beach, Kings Beach, Decline Beach, Moon Dunes Beach, and Speedboat. These Beaches are all equally beautiful and very sandy. Ellery Manning states, “My favorite beach is definitely Moon Dunes beach because of how sandy and big it is. Even when it’s crowded there is still always space for me and my family, it’s also great for swimming.” Moondunes is a wonderful beach in north Tahoe that is very impressive in size.
Donner Lake (Lola Hadley)
The main issue about Tahoe is how crowded it gets, so Donner can also be a great option. The main factor that makes Donner stand out is the traffic to get to Tahoe in the summer. Without traffic, it takes about 20 minutes to get to Tahoe, which is mixed with the summer traffic. It can take around an hour just to get to the beach, and parking can be a disaster. Even with traffic, donner is only a 10-minute drive from town, and once you arrive at the lake, the lack of crowds allows for an efficient visit with good parking options. The best place to go on Donner is the docs because you and your friends can take over an entire doc and be right on the lake. Kael Blume stated, “I would rather spend the day at the docks than the day at a crowded beach at Tahoe because I can get a whole doc to myself and relax and jump into the water.” The exclusive sense that the docs provide shows the benefits of Donner.
In conclusion, Tahoe and Donner both offer pros and cons. Depending on the day and weather, choosing wisely which lake you want to go to is important. With the summer crowds, it is better to stick to Donner on weekends and Tahoe on weekdays, but they both are amazing places to spend the summer.