The Student News Site of Truckee High School

The Truckee Times

Big News, Small Town

The Truckee Times

The Truckee Times

logo

Big News, Small Town

Women in Weightlifting

We want you!
Cecilia Wood

Women’s History Month is here and what better way to celebrate than showing our appreciation and support to the newly founded Gains For Girls, a club that is advocating for all of our lovely high school girls. At the beginning of February, the papers were signed and the club was official. Gains for Girls has a goal to create a safe space for young women to feel supported while working out along with feeling comfortable with a relatable community.

The Mission:
Hattie Kaplan, Grayson Martin, Jayna Palmer, and Dani Cornete are the strong girls who lead the whole operation.
Grayson Martin explains what they’re trying to accomplish with this club and this is what she has to say, “I took strength for the first time this year and realized that I enjoyed lifting; however, there were only four girls out of around 30 people in the class.” Martin noticed; however, that many of her friends said they would love to join Strength, but the male-dominated space made people feel a little bit unsure of joining.

“Gains for Girls has a goal to promote women’s empowerment in a male-dominated environment in hopes to give girls in high school to learn how to lift properly and get stronger.” Martin finished. As more girls join the club, the higher the hopes are of building a stronger female weight-lifting community in Truckee High.

Cecilia Wood

Why you should join:
If anyone has ever been hesitant or lacking the confidence to join the gym and work out by themselves, this may be a great outlet for anyone around to push themselves out of their comfort zone with other girls who support them. If Anyone is, wondering about the benefits,
here are five reasons by Nicole Golden to hopefully show you how great this is for your body,

“1. Development of Good Movement Patterns
2. Improvement of Self-Confidence
3. Increasing Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR)
4. Decreased Risk of Metabolic Syndrome
5. Improvement of Bone Mineral Density” (NASM) Weightlifting is not about getting big or proving yourself to other people, it is about feeling better about yourself with a good community to assist you.

How to sign up:
It’s simple. There are meetings every Monday and Wednesday from 2:45-4. Look out around school, posters will be coming out soon. Meetings will be in the weight room. Hope to see you there!