The Student News Site of Truckee High School

The Truckee Times

Big News, Small Town

The Truckee Times

The Truckee Times

logo

Big News, Small Town

Palisades Tahoe COO and President Dee Byrne

Women’s History Month Profile
Photo submitted to the Truckee Times

For the duration of March, Women’s History Month takes place. March 8th was International Women’s Day. With the celebration of women around the country and world throughout March the amount of influential and powerful women in the Truckee Tahoe region is something that doesn’t go unnoticed. This is the second in a two part series focused on women in leadership roles in the Tahoe Truckee Area.

In the corner office of the Olympic Valley Lodge at Palisades Tahoe, Dee Byrne, the President and COO of Palisades Tahoe, sits across the table. As she speaks eloquently about the passion she has for the mountain and ski industry as a whole, she periodically looks out the window to take in the view of the Tram Face just outside the window. 

Byrne started in the ski industry at just 14 years old. She was a ski instructor with ambitions to be a doctor. However, once she was in the industry, she never left. “As I stayed in ski instruction I was encouraged and climbed up the hierarchy by accepting and going after the goals that were available.” In staying in her position as an instructor she moved up the hierarchy of the mountain aided by certifications and dedication.

Byrne went on to be a part of the PSIA National Demonstration Team – which now also includes AASI (Professional Ski Instructors of America & American Association of Snowboard Instructors). This group traveled the country as a governing body of trainers, instructors, and board members who served terms, dedicated to teaching people how to ski and snowboard. “I became what is known as the ‘Top Ski Instructor’ in the United States.” Byrne worked with the organization to form national standards as well as grow her resume.

“I decided in short that I want to stay skiing.” 

After her time at the PSIA, Byrne got her first position at Beaver Creek Colorado as a ski school supervisor. “I ascended through a number of positions predominantly in snow sports and moved up the ranks.” Byrne was with Vail Resorts for 24 years, then went to Aspen Colorado. Which she assumed was her last spot until she landed in Olympic Valley thirteen years ago. “I was one of just a few, a handful of women coming through the pipeline. At this level, it felt lonely,” Byrne says. 

Photo submitted to the Truckee Times

After moving through many positions during her thirteen years at Palisades, Byrne was eventually presented and applied to the position of President and COO. Three years later she is still effectively and forcefully running the company. Palisades Tahoe has undergone many changes from the name to parking regulations. Byrne has often faced challenges and opposition from the community but has professionally handled them.

In an industry that is male-dominated and corporate, there have been many times Byrne has broken through the glass ceiling of both sides of her job. Finding balance was difficult. “How to fit in with the guys but not become a guy was challenging.”

“I would say it’s easier for me than some, quite frankly, because of my skiing skills. Being a good skier helped me fit in with [men]. Skiing is the vehicle that brings people together in the industry and it helps neutralize differences and in creating a commonality.” 

Byrne’s mother is her biggest role model. In life and business, she has followed her mother’s expertise and watched her pursue her goals. She is a flourishing businesswoman. But other than her mother, she had no female role models. While some of Byrne’s interactions with men were positive, given the fact that most of her mentors were male, there was a lot of animosity and disconnect with the males she worked with. Byrne says, “I often felt like we – the two other women that were on the team with me at the time – were often overlooked. Like we weren’t even in the room.” 

But, facing the hardships head-on, Byne learned how to combat male dominance in the industry and corporate life. “Acquiring the confidence to speak up in that environment was extremely challenging.” With practice, she gained that confidence and in turn increased effectiveness.

Byrne’s passion for her work and her ability to perform well helped her excel in the job. And through feeding her passions she amplified those passions of other people. “I look back at what I’m doing, and I’m trying to build self-esteem. Through recreation on the hill. And through the mountain experience because of just how special the mountains are.” 

Byrne’s advice for young girls and women is: “Competence is important. You need to do the work. But take it in chunks, one job leads to the other. Building your foundation and each step is important, don’t try to jump through the steps. That will enable you to gain confidence and at a certain juncture in your progression at these jobs you go from technical experience to leadership experience. You have to give up being the expert to be a leader.” 

A lot of it is about confidence. “In short, my advice to others is don’t be afraid to raise your hand and try for it.” Byrne says, “Become part of the solution versus the problem. Those who become part of the solution tend to excel.” 

In the world today there are truly many hardships that come with being a woman in a male-dominated world. However, that doesn’t stop women like Byrne from being part of the solution and overcoming those obstacles. But in the end, Byrne argues sometimes it’s necessary to surprise people. “Generally speaking it’s a shock to most guests that a woman runs this place because it is so badass.”

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Lola Hadley, Managing Editor and Staff Reporter
Lola is currently a Junior and is in her second year as a Managing Editor.  She established the Truckee Times and continues to grow and evolve in her love of journalism and learning. Lola enjoys writing about news, opinion and environmental issues. Outside of journalism and academics, she enjoys sports like skiing and basketball and spending time outdoors.

Comments (1)

All Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

MarnieMar 29, 2024 at 2:57 pm

Awesome article about an amazing woman.

Reply