The Student News Site of Truckee High School

The Truckee Times

Big News, Small Town

The Truckee Times

The Truckee Times

logo

Big News, Small Town

Empty Bowls Banquette

Sierra Community House Fundraiser on the fight against hunger
Lola Hadley

On Monday, March 17th the Sierra Community House set up a fundraiser at Truckee High to tackle hunger, aiming to fill the plates of those in need. 

Alison Edwards, a head organizer of the Empty Bowl night said, “All of the money that we raise here tonight goes directly to our hunger relief program. Sierra Community House is all about building community so we wanted to host an event that was accessible and affordable so that people can come together.”

All around Truckee, artists and students alike joined together to make 115 ceramic bowls. 

As members of the community filed into the Truckee High cafeteria, they each got to pick out their favorite bowl for 15 dollars. Afterward, every person was able to get any soup of their choice with both vegan and non-vegan options. 

Edwards says, “Our chef, her name is Meredith Miller Eliot, she is a world-renowned chef. She has toured with Metallica and Pearl Jam and has fed hundreds of people.” Eliot has been working on the four soups for over a week.

Essentially, each dollar that was donated goes to the Sierra Community House to provide for people who cannot afford food, and the ability to stay fed. It comes every year if anyone is interested in joining in.

If you would like to know more about the program you can visit the Empty Bowls website.