Reflecting on Year One of The Truckee Times

Journalism isn’t just about writing an article, it’s about connections, meeting new people, learning about others, and bringing insight to the world. 

Truckee Times staff celebrates the launch of their website.

Journalism as an industry has its ups and downs. 

All at once it is everything and nothing of which one would expect. 

I was able to experience that this year, first hand. Being one of the editors of a newborn publication is not easy. There is much to learn and there is much to grow from. 

90 minute class periods are almost no time in the grand scheme of things, but when the semester ends and that small amount of time gets ripped from your clutches, the publication as we know it reached an unimaginable standstill. 

Running a publication with four or five people who were slightly interested and with little time to succeed in the process was nothing that I would have expected. 

Journalism remains my passion and the thing I want to do with my life, but the challenges of trying to hold a brand new publication afloat eventually won, taking the joy that simply writing could not overpower. Scheduling and communication are aspects of journalism that may not be seen as the integral part that they are. Nevertheless it is an incredible accomplishment to rebirth a student publication at Truckee High. 

The Truckee Times was so lucky to have such an amazing team of people who brought so many new and creative ideas that were able to take every aspect of the publication to the next level.

Starting this publication was extremely hard work. The support of a team and hard work of everyone who was involved made the process enjoyable and much less daunting. Working as a team to build up a successful publication was incredibly rewarding when it worked. The Truckee Times was so lucky to have such an amazing team of people who brought so many new and creative ideas that were able to take every aspect of the publication to the next level. 

Through the Truckee Times I was able to feed my love and admiration for journalism while learning things that I may have not had the chance to for many years. 

I have learned so much from this time. I learned the immense importance of collaboration and simple listening. 

Students and young people are the heart and soul of the next generation of news. Against all challenges and changes we will work to keep the inspiration and passion of journalism alive. Personally speaking, spreading news to the youth of the school and region will remain my goal for my next two years with the Truckee Times and THS.