Stress for Teens in School

Tardy slips, missing assignments, late-night studying, sports after school, and deadlines. These are examples of some of the stressors that cause stress for teens in school.

According to multiple sources such as chilmind.org and npr.org, time management is one of the leading causes of stress for high school students.

Deadlines, tests, missing assignments, and projects are all factors that add to the stress students have. Time management is an important skill for students to learn in order to get assignments in on time and study for tests. If students don’t know how to manage their time wisely, they will eventually become stressed and fall behind in school.

Late nights spent on studying and homework can lead to insomnia as a result of poor time management. If students procrastinate and wait until the last minute to finish things they can lose sleep by not going to bed early enough. As a result, insomnia can develop, which can take a toll on students and their ability to focus and perform at their best.

The average high school student studies 6.8 hours per week, or 1 hour and 21.6 minutes per weeknight according to outscholar.com. On top of studying for tests and meeting getting deadlines, students also have homework.

Students also may have other things going on after school. Sports, clubs, social time, school events, etc. Students may not always have time to study or finish projects.

Some students are also adjusting to environments such as moving to a new school, moving to another state/house, or even being in a new class. Adjusting/adapting to new situations and environments can be stressful enough.

It is also important to note the physical and mental effects of stress.

Physical effects that stress causes include headaches, dizziness, and even insomnia. These physical effects can have negative effects on students and prevent students from performing at their best.

The mental effects of stress include jumbled or confused thoughts, worrying, self-doubt, and fearing the worst according to Washington post.com.hese factors cause students to develop a negative headspace which also affects their ability to learn and perform at their best.

Not only do these factors of stress have a harmful impact on students, but they can also impact anyone. That is why it is important to know the triggers of stress when dealing with time management and remember how you can avoid these triggers in the future.